The technology of industrial production of seamless pipe is extremely complex and time consuming. Each stage requires a lot of energy and materials. Pipes are often used for the transport of sterile media; therefore the most stringent requirements are imposed on their manufacture. The metal must be cleaned of impurities, and the production process itself must be carefully controlled at all stages:
• The alloy steel billet is heated in a furnace.
• Red-hot, it is fed to the press-sinking mill, where the forming elements give it the necessary configuration, piercing the workpiece through and through.
• After that, the future pipe is rolled out with rollers to a predetermined length, with the required wall thickness, outer and inner diameters.
• The finished element cools down and undergoes final calibration in a special container.
• The final stage is preparation of segments of the required length and marking of ready-to-sell products.
Some grades of seamless steel pipes undergo a special post-hardening process. The product heats up and then cools down quickly. Repeated several times, the procedure rebuilds the molecular lattice of steel, imparting new properties to it.
Types of seamless pipes:
Depending on the manufacturing technology, the industry offers consumers two types of products: hot-rolled and cold-rolled.
You can also come across the term hot pressed or hot worked. Produced in accordance with GOST 9940-81. This technology also does not allow making pipes of small diameters. In addition, in this case, it is not always possible to obtain a perfectly smooth pipe surface and guarantee dimensional accuracy.
Otherwise - cold-drawn or cold-deformed. Their production is regulated by GOST 9941-81. They differ from hot rolled products, first of all, by a smaller section and thin walls. The surface of the pipes with this production method is smoother. When producing products with a cross-section other than a round type (rectangle, star, oval, hexagon, etc.), only the cold deformation method is used.
Thick-walled and thin-walled pipes
Another criterion is the wall thickness of the product. This indicator largely determines the scope of the pipe material. Separate thick-walled and thin-walled steel pipes:
• The hot-rolled seamless pipe has a diameter of 28–426 mm, with a wall thickness of 3–40 mm.
• Cold rolled steel allows the manufacture of pipes with a diameter of 0.3-450 mm with a wall thickness of 0.06-12 mm.
Scope of application
The field of use of seamless stainless steel pipe is very wide. The product is actively used in various areas of human life. The popularity of pipes is primarily due to their unique characteristics:
• Resistant to mechanical stress, the ability to handle aggressive chemicals and withstand severe pressure drops. These properties make such pipes indispensable in the chemical and oil and gas industries. Thick-walled products are able to provide the required level of reliability and eliminate the likelihood of leakage. Seamless pipes are also used in the production of special containers for the transportation of hazardous or high-pressure substances.
• Lack of chemical interaction with transported media. Allows you to actively use stainless steel pipes in pharmacology, medicine, food industry. The ideal option would be to use seamless stainless steel for the construction of water supply networks, but due to the relatively high cost of products, such solutions are rare.
• Resistant to high temperatures and strong temperature fluctuations. These qualities make seamless stainless steel indispensable in internal combustion engines, heating devices, in the construction of stoves and chimneys. The products are used in the nuclear industry, energy, aviation and astronautics.
• The aesthetic appeal of stainless steel pipes also plays an important role. Smooth, polished to a shine products are used in the construction of buildings, interior decoration, furniture manufacturing.
Features of connection of seamless stainless pipes:-
The main competitive advantage of such products is the absence of welded seams, which is the most vulnerable point of
The pipes are joined only by welding, and the process can be carried out in manual, semi-automatic or automatic mode. One of the following technologies is used:
• TIG. Welding is carried out in an inert gas environment, which protects the treated area from oxidation. The heat source is an electric arc between the tungsten electrode and the welding point. If the technology is followed, the seam turns out to be even, homogeneous and not inferior in strength characteristics to the material of the pipe itself.
• HF. Less expensive technology, which, however, does not provide similar strength indicators. Welding is carried out by means of high-frequency current.
• Laser. Laser welding is as strong as TIG technology, while allowing you to reduce the melt zone and make the seam less visible.
Thus, seamless stainless steel pipes can be safely called one of the most practical, durable, durable and environmentally friendly pipe materials, allowing you to implement any project: from the installation of industrial pipelines to the manufacture of elegant furniture. The only drawback of such pipes is the justifiably high cost.
As of now you got to know about Types of seamless stainless steel pipes and features of their applications.
Santosh Steels is one of the best for stainless steel pipes suppliers and manufacturers in India.
Leave a reply
Your email address will not be published. required fields are marked *