Curtain walls are aluminium-framed walls that are thin and light in weight. These have in-fills of glass, metal or thin stone. These frames do not carry the weight of the building, rather it only carries its own weight. These curtain walls are designed to keep the weather out. It resists sway induced by air or wind, water, seismic forces etc. It can be installed inside as well as outside with different gazing options. In curtain walling system, you can choose between a variety of front faced options, also, it can be installed in different sizes big or small, to make your building look aesthetically and visually appealing. The best part about curtain walling is even though it is very efficient, it is cost-friendly. Curtain wall repair can be done quite easily too.
Fabrication and Installation
For curtain walling, fabrication and installation are categorised into two systems- stick system and utilized system. In the stick system, as the name implies, the curtain walls and panels are installed and stick together brick by brick. Whereas in the utilized system, curtain walls comprise of large components that are accumulated and coated with smooth finish and then are shipped to the site and positioned on the wall.
Both utilized system and stick system of the curtain wall work well in the interiors as well as exteriors of the building. Though, the gazed system of the interiors allows glass panel installation from the interior of the building into the curtain wall. Air infiltration can be a major concern for interior gazed system. Interior gazing systems are usually applied with limited internal fencing to allow appropriate access to the interiors.
It is advisable to use the gazing system in the exterior only when there are low rise construction and easy access to the building. In the case of exterior gazing, scaffolding access is required for repair and replacement of the curtain wall.
The three main systems of the curtain walls, that are face-sealed, water-managed, and pressure-equalized. Let us understand these in brief.
- Face-Sealed: These types of barrier walls depend upon the continuous and flawless seal between the panel and the frame. These types of systems are not very reliable.
- Water Managed: Water managed system include drains and weep out water, but it does create a barricade for air. The lack of air barricade may result in leaks. The weep holes present in the water managed system is used to drain out all the water from gazing pockets.
- Pressure-Equalized System: The system blocks all the forces and keeps the building airtight. The design and framing of the curtain wall prevent water from penetrating inside. It is the most reliable and durable system that prevents the building from both air and water.
Benefits of Curtain Wall System
- It prevents fire from spreading across the surface of the building.
- Curtain walls if treated properly, improves thermal efficiency of building to a great extent.
- They may not provide structure stability but secure structure of the building by not letting sway and water penetrate inside the building.
For an effective, long-lasting and waterproof curtain walling system, the design and installation of the curtain wall is significant.
Hiring professionals will not only help you in achieving durability and quality installation but also will also ensure you an aesthetically pleasing façade. Ars is a well-known curtain walling repairs service provider who have professionals to bring creativity to you project be it new or old.
Leave a reply
Your email address will not be published. required fields are marked *