Children are a pleasure to be with and their company will always make you happy. But what happens when they are sad, emotionally affected or depressed? You too feel morose. Kids are extremely perceptive of their surroundings and are growing mature with every passing generation. With the changing world, family types, cultures, education system, etc., children too are facing a lot of metamorphoses. Therefore, it becomes quite difficult to take them to a counsellor without their consent or before explaining to them the valid reasons.
In such situations, both parents and teachers find it extremely trying to get them enrolled for child counselling in Kolkata or anywhere else. That is why we have this blog for you, telling you how to explain to your child the need for a child counselling session.
Difficult Situations that You May Face
As a parent, it will be an awfully tough job to convince your child to see a counsellor. But you must not give up hope at all. Tantrums are commonplace among kids and you need not be afraid of that at all. However, we have enlisted a few situations to keep you alert.
• The child may not know what is wrong with him/her and thus, is surely going to ask you the reason behind a counselling session.
• Your child may start crying in fear of what he/she is in for.
• Be prepared for quarrels and arguments over seeing the psychotherapist because your adolescent may not have his/her consent to this.
• Children are aware of what counselling sessions are to some extent and that is what makes them more aware. This usually happens with teenagers.
• It is also possible that the child will be adamant and will lock himself/herself up in the room and avoid coming out.
• There can also be a situation where the kid cooperates with you and does not disagree with the decision but does not converse with the counsellor.
Here, we would like to say that it is good if you do not force the child and instead give a good explanation as to why you want him/her to attend the sessions. Forcing the child to see the kid counsellor can only lead to severe situations with the child going astray. You need to understand that this is a delicate issue and it has to be handled with care.
What Should You do in These Situations?
Before you take your son or daughter for child counselling in Salt Lake, you need to be sure that your child has his or her consent to it. Unless he/she is willing to go for the sessions, there is no point in attending one. This is so because the child has to be in a proper state of mind to open up to the therapist and communicate. As long as the child does not start talking and only sits silently throughout the sessions, it is only a futile effort.
• Explaining the importance of the counselling sessions: Talk to your child and explain why you want him/her to go for it. You can reason out that you have been unable to communicate with him/her, have observed some behavioural issues or just want him/her to see the counsellor for mental well-being. Children can easily sense lies and so at MindYog we always tell parents and guardians to speak the truth.
• Tell them it is for their good: The child needs to understand that the sessions are for their own good. When your child starts hitting puberty or adolescence, they undergo emotional changes. This makes them extra too sensitive towards any relationship and so they might think that since you are suffering from some problems, that is why you want him/her to go for the sessions instead. Do the needful and explain clearly how seeing the counsellor can solve their internal conflicts and put them at ease. Besides, the sessions are therapeutic and help them clarify their queries that they otherwise are unable to share with their parents and friends.
• Mention how the sessions can help win over trust issues, fears or parental separation woes: Many couples send their children for counselling when they themselves are going through a rough patch in their careers. Such children grow in an environment of constant fear, insecurity and dilemma. If such is the problem with your child then speak clearly to him/her. You have to point out that attending the child counselling appointments are for his/her benefit.
No matter what is said and done, you know your child better than any counsellor. The counsellor can only help the child when he/she sits right in front of the counsellor and from there on will begin the proper assessment of the child. Without this baby step, nothing is possible!
So, avail of the child counselling service in Kolkata at MindYog and see what changes we bring about in your child. Our child counsellors are well experienced and do not hesitate to discuss the most potent issues with you. A report of your child’s progress is also made and a follow-up is also conducted after the sessions. In case of any concern on your end, please feel free to talk to us or drop a mail on our e-mail id.
Leave a reply
Your email address will not be published. required fields are marked *