Do you know the magic tonic that can help in giving you a glowing complexion? No, it is not that expensive serum or that exotic face mask. It is Sleep! Sleep is as essential to our health (skin health too) as a healthy diet and regular exercise.
Sleep is nature’s way of rejuvenating our bodies and minds, and repairing our skin. Those seven to eight hours of shut-eye are integral to our good health. It is the time when our skin is working hard - replacing old skin cells with new ones, producing collagen and restoring skin moisture.
“I need my beauty sleep” is no unreasonable demand; it is what is most important to maintain youthful, healthy skin. Sleep deprivation effects on skin range from dark circles, puffy eyes, dull skin tone, early wrinkles and patchy uneven skin.
How does lack of sleep affect skin?
Our lives have become busier with technology and internet invading every moment. Sleep seems like a waste of time to many of us. We stay glued to our smart phones or laptops till late at night, choosing to be online rather than asleep. Further, work deadlines have become synonymous with late hours.
But when we go against our body’s natural rhythm, it begins to tell on our looks and health.
Lack of sleep effects on skin are:
- Premature aging of skin
- Skin that cannot recover from environmental stressors
- Dull, lifeless skin
- Dark under eye circles, puffy eyes
- Fine lines, wrinkles
If you are getting less than six hours of undisturbed sleep at night, chances of getting wrinkled skin are far higher. That is because our skin produces collagen when we sleep, and starts the process of skin cell renewal. Cell turnover happens when our body rests as per its natural circadian rhythm, that is at night.
Does sleep improve skin?
Night time sleep is absolutely critical to our health and beauty. It is the time when our body slows down, and utilizes this period to repair itself. Blood circulation improves, the skin produces collagen to build new cells, and the rest to mind and body refreshes our skin.
In order to get the best benefits of sleep, make sure to do the following:
- Try to sleep on your back, so that rubbing and pressing of skin on the pillow is minimal. Sleeping on the side increases chances of facial wrinkles.
- Ensure your skin gets plenty of hydration through a night time moisturizer with ingredients like Hyaluronic Acid that binds water to skin cells.
- Apply skincare products that have Vitamin C that helps in collagen production and aids your skin in accelerating cell turnover. Activated C, the most potent form of Vitamin C, also helps in smoothening and brightening skin tone while you sleep.
This bed time skincare routine will be beneficial
- Make sure your skin is clean and free of stale make-up and oil. Use an exfoliating face wash that has White Birch and Peony extracts, that work with Activated C to fight signs of aging like wrinkles and fine lines. The natural antioxidants in this cleanser also help improve skin tone.
- Lack of sleep over time can lead to dull, lifeless, patchy skin. Since your skin is unable to effectively replace dead skin cells, you may be get pigmented skin and dark spots. Get your eight hours of snooze, and make sure to apply a serum for uneven skin tone that has White Birch and Peony extracts with Activated Charcoal. With added Vitamin C, this serum helps clear your skin texture and provide relief from dull, pigmented skin.
- Your skin needs intense hydration at night to deal with dehydration and oxidative stress. Seal the moisture in with a brightening moisturizer before you retire at night. Make sure you use a moisturizer that has Activated C, White Birch extracts, and Glycolic Acid that helps in improving skin clarity and gives even skin tone. This formula is infused with intense hydration, and helps reduce skin discolorations and rough skin texture for clearer, brighter skin.
So, it makes sense not to let lack of sleep effects on skin show up and speed up the process of skin aging. Invest in these superior-level, time-tested, quality skincare products from the house of Kiehl’s and improve your skin’s natural rejuvenation process at night.
Wake up to refreshed, younger looking skin. Say yes to sleep and sleep skincare!
Leave a reply
Your email address will not be published. required fields are marked *